Comments on Version 2, Draft Pep for Deprecating Builtins

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Mon Apr 29 07:38:53 EDT 2002

"Raymond Hettinger" <python at rcn.com> wrote in message
news:aaiu6e$pfr$1 at bob.news.rcn.net...
> Please send me comments on a draft PEP deprecating
> and relocating six built-in functions.  The text file is at:
> http://users.rcn.com/python/download/deppep.txt
>
> This is version two and incorporates the comments received
> from David, Alex, Brian, Martin, and Chris.
>
> It is also listed below.
>

> Raymond Hettinger

-1.

I don't see any benefit to eliminating five of the
builtins from the global name space. Making a
separate module for functional programming
style functions seems reasonable, and there is
no particular reason why the three functions in
that category couldn't appear in both places,
at least until 3.0.

If we're going to keep the functions in the
global name space until 3.0, there is no need
for a depreciation warning, and no need for
any transition mechanism.

On the other hand, eliminating input() seems
to be a good thing, as it is a snare for the
unwary.

On a more global comment, I think we should
get to work on 3.0 now. There are a lot of good
ideas floating around that are not forward
compatible, and that need some time to think
about them.

John Roth