Python and spacecraft onboard or ground control scripting

Noah noah at noah.org
Sat Apr 13 14:10:06 EDT 2002

Seg faults are the least of your worries for
mission critical applications. Deterministic threading
becomes the real headache. Deterministic garbage collection and
deterministic thread scheduling; validated compilers;
strong, static types are all the hallmarks of
mission critical application languages.
I can't imagine a dynamically typed language like Python
(in its current form) could ever be suitable for
real-time embedded systems or life-critical controls.

I think there is an initiative to make a Java VM that
will meet the requirements for real-time programming.
RTJ or JRT or something like that...
Maybe some version of Jython could be created that
will compile class files for that JVM. You would probably
have to give up most of Python's dynamic features to make
it work.

I wonder what those stackless Python people are up to...

Noah