PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed Apr 3 05:16:08 EST 2002

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Jeff Shannon <jeff at ccvcorp.com> writes:
>> > I am opposed to the addition of the new proposed type on the grounds
>> > that it will make Python harder to teach both to people who have never
>> > programmed before and to people who _have_.
>>
>> At first glance, I was marginally in favor of this PEP.  After
>> reading Alex Martelli's arguments, I was marginally opposed to
>> it.  I think that Laura's comments are *very* convincing, and I'm
>> now fairly solidly opposed to it.  Well said, Laura.
>
> I agree, I missed Laura's post earlier but it's terrific.

Full agreement.  But not from Guido, who dubs it an "over-long FUD
piece" -- all others who commented on Laura's post, whether they
agreed with it or not, seemed to appreciate its worth.  I guess that
tells us something about how worthwhile it is to spend hours studying
and reflecting in depth upon issues, and composing beautiful posts
on the subject, when arguments are requested: the message is quite
clear, "if you don't agree with what he's already decided to do,
don't bother, you'll only peeve him off".  Nice PR exercise...;-).

Oh well.

Alex