porting python to embeded devices

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Fri Apr 12 19:35:32 EDT 2002

* Steve Lamb <grey at despair.dmiyu.org> [2002-04-12 23:11 -0000]:
> On 12 Apr 2002 16:04:50 -0700, Paul Rubin <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> wrote:
> > I'd say it's hopeless or at least impractical.  Those processors are
> > much too constrained to run Python.  It would be like trying to run an
> > SQL database on them.  Python has many virtues but being able to run
> > on very tiny processors isn't one of them.
>
>     What about something like the Zaurus SL-5500?

It runs fine on it, and I'm currently using Phil Thompson's Python 2.2
and PyQt packages that he built for the Zaurus on my iPAQ running opie.

These devices both have a StrongARM processor running at 206 MHz (only
software floating point, though) and between 16 and 64 MB of RAM. So
they're quite well equipped for a handheld ;-)

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930