Py3K (was Re: PEP 285: Adding a bool type)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Apr 3 16:53:57 EST 2002

In article <ualr7hmlhkemab at news.supernews.com>,
John Roth <johnroth at ameritech.net> wrote:

>In fact, at this point I'd like everything substantive to be defered
>to Python 3000, and get started on that right away. I've got a
>few suggestions...

I don't remember when Guido said it, and I don't feel like searching for
it, but there will not be a Python 3000.  It was half a joke and half a
gedanken when originally proposed.  Python 3.0 will introduce some
incompatibilities and do some cleanup, but it will *NOT* be a complete
rewrite.  The only certain thing about Python 3.0 at this point (that's
in my memory banks, at least) is that classic classes will be dead and
all classes will inherit from object.  Complete removal of old-style
division will probably be in Python 3.0, too.

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?