Asynchronous cgi that returns nothing. Possible? O:-)

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Apr 24 02:05:59 EDT 2002

Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <rphbcu8qlh4qgc1eonmrgts5ug7nv0u41v at 4ax.com>, Fernando Rodríguez wrote:
>> No. Step (b) processes the order and does give feedback. Step (a) saves in a
>> db some info conatined in a cookie (date of first visit and first referrer). I
>> want step (a) to be seamless.
>
>Must admit I don't have a clue what you mean. Why aren't scripts (a)
>and (b) in the same script? If they really must be separate scripts,
>why doesn't script (a) just output nothing at all to stdout?

My guess is that the (b) option is a URL at a third-party order processing
site that is not under his control.  If my guess is correct, that means the
original poster is actually hoping to have a single <FORM> fire to two
different URLs.  As far as I know, that is not possible.

Theoretically, it would be possible to have the <FORM> fire a URL on the
home system with the order processing URL, and have that script generate
its own HTTPS connection to the order processing site, but that means the
web site user will not see that his connection is secure.  I would never
enter a credit card number in that case.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.