Access violation trying to run Python over Win NT network.

PM pmullh at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 30 13:31:36 EDT 2002

Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote in message news:<Xns920058DCEAB82gmcmhypernetcom at 199.171.54.215>...
> Patrick wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to run Python from a network drive.  On most machines it
> > works, but on some machines it generates an access violation about 60%
> > of the time, (just by typing 'python' with no arguments).  If I install
> > Python locally it runs fine on all the machines.
>
> One possibility is that the install is updating some MS redistributable
> dll. This goes into the server's Windows\System. The client is still
> using an out of date copy from the client machine's Windows\System.
>
> That would explain why it doesn't fail on Win2K boxes (as you mention
> in a later post).

I am currently using pythonware's python 2.1 on the network drive.  I
believe it does not change anything in the registry or add/modify any
system dlls.

I was originally using the www.python.org 2.2.1 distribution with
py2exe.  When I started getting the access violation, I switched to
your installer, but the error was the same.  So then I switched to
just trying to run python itself over the network.  That's when I
started using pythonware's distribtution for the reason that it
doesn't modify your system.  Still get the error.

This morning I tried running pythonware's python on the network using:

Win 2000 drive on machine 'A': worked fine
Win NT drive on machine 'A': access violation
Same Win 2000 drive on machine 'B': worked fine
Same Win NT drive on machine 'B': worked fine

Python works when run locally on all machines.

Thanks,
Patrick