GUI Programming with Python using Qt

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Apr 4 03:38:41 EST 2002

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:

> Wed, 03 Apr 2002 10:24:59 -0100, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> spake:
>>>   http://www.opendocspublishing.com/pyqt/
>> I've forwarded this to Joshua -- I haven't tried buying one, of course
>> :-).
>
>   It would also be very nice if the opendoc version had a nice single
> download archive - I had to fiddle with wget and do a lot of sed work to
> fix the URLs so I could read it on my local HD and not hit the site
> every time I turn the page.

Well, I don't think Joshua will do this -- but you could ask him, he's
the publisher.

>   I'd really MUCH rather be able to buy just a CDROM with the book in
> clean HTML (go ahead and take a look at the generated HTML...  Evil!)
> with all the illustrations (which aren't in the opendoc version), but
> failing that, I'll probably pick up the dead-tree edition.

The html is just what docbook produces, so it can't be _that_ evil. The
lack of illustrations isn't apparently intentional, as the captions are
present :-).

>   So far it seems to be an excellent book - just last week I started
> teaching myself PyQt, so it came out at the right time.  I've skipped
> over all the BlackAdder stuff, but I may try that out next.

I'd say, give Designer or the Designer module of BlackAdder a try anyway.
It's amazingly comfortable, even for designing complex widgets that should
be embedded in your main windows.