[OT] What is Open Source? (was Re: ANN: Twisted 0.16.0...)

Terry Reedy tejarex at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 13:35:56 EDT 2002

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote in message
news:87wuv9xdr8.fsf at tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp...
> I have no issue with the GPL, because the GPL only affects people
who
> chose to use GPLed code in their projects.
> I do have issues with some GPL advocates, because their arguments
> amount to claiming that nobody should have property rights in his
own
> code.  (rms says this explicitly, but very few are so courageous as
> he.)

Interersting.  If so, then RMS is 'guilty' of an almost humorous
contradiction.  The GPL *is* an assertion of property rights in code,
backed up by FSF lawyers.  It explicity extracts a price from those
who would use GPL software.  It is not directly monetary, but it is a
price nonetheless, as evidenced by the fact that many do not choose to
pay, even though they might be willing to pay a reasonable amount of
money to get the same software without the non-monetary price
attached.

Terry J. Reedy