What has PEP 285 done to us?

Max maxx at easynews.com
Thu Apr 11 15:08:16 EDT 2002

On 10 Apr 2002 04:22:55 GMT, Lumberjack <lumber at jack.com> wrote:

>People aren't going to change, so Guido needs to adjust to the reality of
>the political consequences of his current strategy.

Sounds like someone is having a hard time keeping up.

If you have any concept of computing history, then you should be able to observe
that people MUST change, or become left behind by the changes. Ever heard the
phrase "the one thing that remains constant is change" ?

There are many cases where technologies have undergone significant changes, and
_paying_ customers who have not been overly happy about the changes continue to
pay licensing fees anyway. The most currently successful software company in the
world practices this way. Heard the VB developers screaming lately?

In other cases, I have witnessed many a developer or technician, who solidly
refuses to adapt to changes in their preferred environment be left behind, while
the rest of the community moves along with the group. Sometime we call them
"dinosaurs" - middle aged developers, whose supervisors were born a generation
later.

"Political consequences" sound like the typical hippie-hacker nonsense from
those whose identities are defined by their preferred computing envrionment. Who
can name a single language that remains absolutely static until everyone (or
even a significant majority) agrees on the changes? Sooner or later, design
decisions are made by an individual or small group, and we all are affected.

This is the reality that needs adjusting to.