PIL + McMillan Installer

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Apr 10 11:43:12 EDT 2002

Harald Schneider wrote:

> I use Activestate Python 2.1 and McMillan Installer 5.
> A script that uses PIL runs fine. But the one-file-distribution seems to
> have a problem with Image.open()
>
> ----
> img = Image.open(File)
>   File "C:\usr\python\PIL\Image.py", line 902, in open
>     raise IOError, "cannot identify image file"
> IOError: cannot identify image file
> ----

PIL's plugin scanner won't find the plugins when they're
embedded in the EXE file.  there's probably some installer
recipe somewhere, but if not, the explicit-import approach
described in this article might help:

http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/articles/speeding-up-initialization.htm

</F>

<!-- (the eff-bot guide to) the python standard library:
-->