Sending mail to an SMTP server that requires POP authentication ?

Paul Osman paul.osman at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 26 12:59:52 EDT 2002

    I too found this problem... I have an SMTP server at my work that
requires authentication.. now the version of smtplib I was using had a
login method, which took a username and password as its arguments, but I
kept getting an SMTPException: No suitable authentication method was
found. I spent a good half hour talking back and forth with the server,
and I recall that I tried a few things (can't remember at the moment)
but no matter what i did, i couldn't get it to authenticate... I ended
up doing the damn thing in perl <shutter> which had an auth method that
worked. Has anybody found a solution for this? Is there a patch
available? If so, please let me know because I'd love to remove all the
perl scripts I had to write from action and replace them with python..

-Paul