Theoretical threshold of improving Python's performance

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Fri Apr 5 08:11:18 EST 2002

I got a private email where I can read that Python can be never made as
fast as Common Lisp due to Python's dynamic nature. May I ask  without
any ulterior-motive: "Has the beformentioned proposition any value?".

I know there were discussion concerning the topic; but I would be really
interested in, from a theoretical point of few, whether it is a *fact*
that Python can *never* become as fast as Common Lisp* or not.

I think it is documented that I am not really (maybe until yet) striving
for a faster Python (clearly, would not say no) but I am really
interested in and a little bit clueless whether Python is really much
more dynamic than Common Lisp and this is an upper threshold.

S. Gonzi
*[I got some complaints that I sometimes stress the 10 times Common Lisp
performance hit; if some experienced profi programmer can tell me that
he is using Common Lisp in combination with declaring variables on a
daily basis I am going to quit my rants immediately]