Unicode name questions

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Tue Apr 16 18:09:02 EDT 2002

Skip,

>     Brian> Your spelling of the first two isn't quite right (at least
>     Brian> according to the Unicode guys). Remove the "B" from
"LAMBDA".

> "Lambda" has been spelled with a "b" as long as I can remember.  I see
> both "LAMBDA" and "LAMDA" in the comments in the encodings modules
though.

You aren't disagreeing with me; you are disagreeing with the Unicode
committee :-) Did you look at the Unicode charts?

> I suspect perhaps Python's codecs just haven't caught up yet.

If we are talking about the same characters, then Python seems fully
inline with the published Unicode names.

"GREEK SMALL LETTER THETA SYMBOL" could be (and all work with Python):

GREEK SMALL LETTER THETA
GREEK THETA SYMBOL
GREEK CAPITAL THETA SYMBOL

For the Greek names, see: