What is an import and where is it on the hard disk

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Mon Apr 22 20:50:58 EDT 2002

Quoting francis049 at sympatico.ca (francis049 at sympatico.ca):
> I receive an error message like :
>
>     Traceback (innermost last) :
>     File : /usr/sbin/up2date, line 9, in ?
>       import rpm
>     Import error : No module named rpm
>

> Anyone can tell me why is this error happening and give me some details
> ... please ?

Your posting is amazingly spare with its details, but I'll venture a
guess that you've got a broken python installation on a RedHat system.

I'm not sure exactly how your python installation is broken. The most
common problems with RedHat are either a python version mismatch, or a
broken python install. It looks like you've got some version of python
installed. So, try this to figure out which version:

python -c "import sys; print sys.version"

If this says anything BUT 1.5.2, then you're likely to have problems
under RedHats 6.something forward.

If that's right, check:

python -c "import sys; print sys.path"

If you don't see /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages and
/usr/lib/python1.5 in those places, then it's likely that your
installation is "broken", in that you're missing some files.

Anyway, that's my guess -- provide some more details on your system,
your python installation, etc. if you're still having problems.

Thanks,
--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts             "People talk fundamentals and superlatives
<geoff at gerrietts net>     and then make some changes of detail."