ACCEPTED: PEP 285

Philip Swartzleonard starx at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 6 18:34:28 EST 2002

James Logajan || Sat 06 Apr 2002 02:55:36p:

> Before I set Python aside as being unacceptably non-portable for a
> scripting language, I _had_ tried to stop at 1.5.2. But I couldn't
> develop open source scripts in such a way that they were version
> independent without either a lot of version checking or freezing
> applications with a specific version of the interpreter (which defeats
> one of the points of open source IMHO).

Freeze a simple script that imports all of the libraries you use, and then
execfiles the startups script of your app (or a script defined in a config
file). This has worked pretty well for me, using McMillan's installer. The
idea is you can either download the script set if you have or want to get
the required version of python and all of the dependencies, or dowload it
and an executible that runs it for you. Nothing significant is hidden in
there, on the level of my program. You can see an example of this at
www.rubydragon.com/sproj, though i haven't tested it very much yet.

--
Philip Sw "Starweaver" [rasx] :: www.rubydragon.com