PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Tue Apr 2 21:26:56 EST 2002

In article <3CAA5777.66E7C2D5 at python.org>, Guido van Rossum
<guido at python.org> writes:

| I think it's time I learn to say "yes" even if the community doesn't
| see the light yet.

maybe some of the community have mistaken the dearth of features in
the language for simplicity by design, whereas in reality you just
hadn't gotten around to adding all the little features yet.

since 1.5, i find the following changes to the language come
immediately mind as worthy:
- nested_scopes
- string methods
- unicode (maybe, haven't really used or needed it yet)
- new-style classes (ditto)

the following language changes come immediately
to mind as feeling superfluous:
- list comprehensions (map/filter)
- f(*args, **kw) (apply)
- staticmethod/classmethod

i haven't decided if this is a good ratio or not, yet.

  -- erno