[OT] What is Open Source? (was Re: ANN: Twisted 0.16.0...)

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Apr 12 21:49:57 EDT 2002

[Huaiyu Zhu]
> So RMS says using "open source" to mean "free" is not what FSF
> prefers, even though many people use it that way.

That's so.

> It is definitely not what OSI prefers, either.

That's not.  <http://www.opensource.org/> uses nothing else, although it's
often spelled Open Source there.  From OSI's FAQ:

    How is "open source" related to "free software"?

    The Open Source Initiative is a marketing program for free software.
    It's a pitch for "free software" on solid pragmatic grounds rather
    than ideological tub-thumping.  The winning substance has not
    changed, the losing attitude and symbolism have.

As marketing collateral, I suppose that paragraph could stand its own
attitude adjusmment <wink>.