XML, Python, XML-SIG, documentation, PyXml, 4

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Thu Apr 25 10:11:29 EDT 2002

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<3CC62D76.2E0D3A54 at engcorp.com>...
> andrew cooke wrote:
> >
> > Which of these packages should I use, and what documentation will help
> > me, if I want to:
> >
> > - automatically generate a tree from the XML file (I believe this is
> > related to the DOM)
> > - supply a class to some (already existing) tree walking code that
> > does local rearrangements of the XML data
> > - automatically generate an XML file from the modified tree
> >
> > (I've already looked at XSLT and I don't believe that is the right
> > tool for this kind of job).
>
> Why do you say that?  What you describe above is pretty much
> what XSLT is for...

My understanding (which may be completely wrong - in which case I'd
like to know!) is that XSLT is for generating new representations from
the old data, but that the new representation is separate from the old
structure.  In other words, it's easy to generate a completely new
form based on the original information, but difficult to keep the old
data largely intact with just small modifications.

If that's wrong, please could someone point me to an example (and
apologies for being obtuse, but the examples I've seen are of that
form and, in one case, stressed what I thought was the point I'm
making above).

Thanks,
Andrew