playing with Tkinter, expert needed ?

J.Jacob joost_jacob at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 11:37:42 EDT 2002

Hello all,

I have been playing with Tkinter to make a widget that is portable and
usable from Python version 1.5.2 on.  The widget is for emulation of
very old-fashioned character based computer screens.  Earlier I tried
all sorts of curses modules but not one of them was really portable,
or needed recompiling things.  The source is at
http://www.cwi.nl/~jacob/textmap.py and you can see a syntax colored
version at http://www.cwi.nl/~jacob/textmap.py.html

Basically it gives you a window where you can do things like:
writexy(x, y, text)
settext(text)
myscreen = gettext()
inputString = readxy(x, y)
clear()
change(coloroptions)
scroll(x, y)
etc.

Download and just run
C:> python TextMap.py
for a demonstration.
Please let me know if it does not work on your operation system, it
should be as portable as python with Tkinter is.

My questions are:
a) How can I have a 'fat' cursor blinking instead of the small one
when waiting for input?
b) Do you see implementation flaws in the TextMap class?  I am new to
Tkinter and I am sure Tkinter has all sorts of 'hidden' conventions
about how to use it I don't know about.