Python, search engine and NLP...

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Apr 23 14:20:48 EDT 2002

In article <409a56e2.0204230104.16d60f52 at posting.google.com>,
shagshag13 at yahoo.fr says...
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in Pyhon but not sure it can fit my needs :

Well, I don't know enough to address your specific questions, but
I *do* have a couple of thoughts...

> - As by now i don't know Python, do you think that it will not be a
> waste of time even if I had to learn it ???

Python is very easy to learn, an experienced programmer can be
productive in it within days.  Don't let the fact that you don't
know it yet keep you away.  :)

> - Do you know about some Python's natural language processing module
> ???
>
> - No, as there are many Java NLP library, I should definitively do it
> with Java...

I don't know either way about any Python NLP modules, but if you
have access to Java libraries, then you might want to use Jython
(www.jython.org), which gives you Python's clean syntax and ease-
of-use on top of a Java virtual machine.  This allows you to
access all of your Java libraries from Python code.  I haven't
used it myself, but I for some people this is wonderful.

--

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer