Threading problem

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 3 15:43:06 EST 2002

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:52:07 -0600
Larry Whitley wrote:

> I have a PC with two processors at work and have decided to try to use
> threading to run some long running console applications.  My basic idea
is
> to start two threads, one for each processor, and give them a list of
things
> to do.  As each thread finishes it one job will go to the list and pick
off
> the next thing to do.  When the list is empty, both threads are done.

You've already got your question answered, but your post raises another
question:  I don't believe you are going to be able to take much advantage
of SMP even with threads since the Python interpreter itself runs on a
single processor.  Does anyone know different?  I've been somewhat confused
on this issue since I believe Python uses the native threads on any given
platform.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)