Redhat 7.3 skipjack Beta2- why still python 1.5x ?

Matthew Baulch matt at greenroom.com.au
Tue Apr 9 01:10:58 EDT 2002

Matthew Miller wrote:

> Anthony_Barker <anthony_barker at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Python 2.2x is stable why does redhat still insist on releasing 1.5x?
>>All other distributions are now on 2.x.
>>It seems from the Redhat's skipjack beta 2 that it will only ship the
>>older version of python(1.5.2).

I'm confused also, for a while there, sure there were a number of apps
that were tied to this old release, but most of them seem to be updated.

I reckon that if you haven't made it compatible with python2.x then you
should have to do a HUGE days work and _ACTUALLY_ have to download the
1.5 package.

In addition to that (i promise i'll stop soon), it is a bit annoying
that whenever i install red hat i have to

rm -f /usr/bin/python
ln -s /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python

because they believe that more of us will use 1.5 than 2.1.

Aah well, thats my 2 cents.