ACCEPTED: PEP 285

Kris J. Zaragoza kzaragoza at attbi.com
Wed Apr 3 23:59:24 EST 2002

In article <7xy9g4nk9w.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin wrote:
> I think there will need to be a format code for truth values:
>
>   ("%b" % True) => "True"
>
> etc.

Maybe, but I'm not sure this is strictly necessary, since according to
the PEP:

    ("%s" % str(True)) => "True"

It's not as pretty as having a format specifier for it, but I'd
imagine it will do for the short term.  Then, of course, you have to
wonder what exactly

    ("%d" % True) => ?

should print.  After all, bools are ints too.  Should this be "1" or
an error of some sort?  And what if you've done some arithmetic on a
bool and end up with another value?  What would your proposed %b
format specifier print for

   val = int.__new__(bool,42)

I really should stop thinking about these things and just go to

-Kris

--
Kris J. Zaragoza       | On the face of it, Microsoft complaining about
kzaragoza at attbi.com    | the source license used by Linux is like the