Accessing mdb(access 2000) files on linux using python

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Apr 17 12:51:07 EDT 2002

"B" <martin_byrne2 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:508cb8ae.0204170837.6f800a24 at posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> Just wondering if anyone knows how to manipulate mdb files stored on a
> linux webserver using python.Using win32com on windows is fine but on
> linux can i manipulate the database using pythons odbc connectivity or
> is there another way.
>
> Any suggestions, links or sample code would be of great help.

I'm sorry to say I suspect you're chasing a phantasm here. I'm not aware of
any such code. Neither do I know of a Unix ODBC driver for Jet database
files. I'll be delighted if somebody tells me I'm talking through my hat.

Of course, it's quite possible to migrate the data (using Python) from
Windows+Access to Linux+MySQL or some other such combination. I presume
there are specific reasons you don't want to do this (such as use of the
database over Samba by Windows-based systems)?

regards
 Steve