Comment on draft PEP for deprecating six builtins

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 04:24:23 EDT 2002

map, filter & reduce et al are the fastest ways to do many things....,
pow and divmod are also extremely useful. I don't use input, but I'm
sure others do.

Ther are no fast equivalents to the functional forms, list
comprehensions are as slow as for loops. We need more fast operations
for functional style programming, not less.

This PEP smacks of political requirements not practical ones. The
builtin name space is only crowded if we want to use the names for
something else.

Again this is a backward incompatible change. It's not broken and
doesn't need fixing.

-999
--
Robin Becker