What has PEP 285 done to us?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Apr 9 17:50:19 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1018366940.13473.python-list at python.org>,
Laura Creighton  <lac at strakt.com> wrote:

>Boris' phrasing indicates that I was 'trying to make a point' as if
>this was some sort of ego-driven competition between myself and Guido
>with some sort of pay-off in terms of whether the PEP passes, or
>whether more big names on comp.lang.python come out in favour of me
>than Guido or some other piece of nonsense.  I did not want this.
>Boris has revealed a flaw in our process, because that he took it that
>way means that the PEP process is being perceived as an ego-game.

Unfortunately, I have to say that the stridency you exhibited in this
thread (to my startlement) made me feel a bit that you *were* trying to
score a point.  I'm not talking about your initial long post, but
subsequent ones.

>This _really_ stinks, people.  I trusted Guido to be able to take off his
>'I am an implementor and I just implemented a cool new feature' hat
>and put on his 'I am a langauge designer, and I am now looking at the
>language implications' hat.  This trust we must have in Guido or else
>he will not be able to launch his own new features into Python.  This
>is the faith we must have or else we think that we ONLY GOT LUCKY
>in that Python is great.

See?  You're implying here that Guido did *not* put on his "language
designer" hat, and in a rather subtle way, to boot.  You're
contradicting the very point you're trying to make by your use of
language.

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker