is there gonna be a Core Python Programming 2e ?

Wesley J. Chun wesc at deirdre.org
Tue Apr 2 02:23:16 EST 2002

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote in message news:<a7jkm6$cnt$1 at panix1.panix.com>...
> In article <codq9uko6ueumep852po13m6pbtfs3r2ts at 4ax.com>,
> John Warney  <john at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >I was wondering if there was plans on CPP 2e ? (no its not c++, core
> >python programming, lol) If so i would ask for a better binding than
> >what is on CPP.  I would even pay more than what the current CPP is at
> >now.
>
> I know that Wes is gearing up to work on the second edition; I'll pass
> this on to him (he doesn't read c.l.py regularly these days).  However,
> I'll have to note that this is more up to the publisher than the author.

john,

as aahz has pointed out, i've been toying with the ideas for a
CPP 2e.  i apologize for the binding, however, it is partially
my fault -- the same goes for the page count.  :-)  i gave the
impression to Prentice Hall that i was not going to deliver
very much material, and this may have led to the paper thick-
ness, the binding, the page count, etc.

the goal for 2e would be to add the many missing chapters, i.e.,
SQL/databases, XML, Win32 Programming, etc., and chop the book
into a pair, just like Core Java, which has a "core" for Vol. 1
and an advanced topics for Vol. 2.  in fact, sometime in the
not too distant future, i will be posting to CLP asking the
community for their feedback on how to improve 1e and features
they'd like to see in 2e.

i will not be able to devote the resources to it for a little
while longer, perhaps 2.4 timeframe.  in the meantime, i will
definitely suggest a more user-friendly binding for any future
releases.

thanks for your interest!

-wesley

"Core Python Programming", Prentice Hall PTR, © 2001
    http://starship.python.net/crew/wesc/cpp/

Silicon Valley-San Francisco Bay Area Python Users Group (BayPIGgies)
    http://deirdre.org/baypiggies

wesley.j.chun :: wesc at deirdre.org
cyberweb.consulting : henderson, nv : cyberweb at rocketmail.com
http://roadkill.com/~wesc/cyberweb/