Science And Math Was: Python's Lisp heritage

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Tue Apr 23 04:04:25 EDT 2002

Torkel Franzen wrote:

> Siegfried Gonzi <siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at> writes:
>
> > Wittgenstein dissmised the pure behavior of mathematicians: proof n, do
> > not rest and proof n+1, do not rest and proof n+2,...
>
>   What comments of Wittgenstein's do you have in mind here?

No comments of Wittgenstein, but even a quick internet search (I could
look after it at home, but it is possible that I forget the thread)
leads to (sorry I am not a philosopher and do not easily have  any
access to a peer reviewed reference, but nonetheless):

http://www.tu-harburg.de/rzt/rzt/it/sofie/node52.html

"Wittgenstein hielt Mengenlehre und mathematische Logik für entbehrliche
Teile der Mathematik."

Which means: "Wittgenstein says that we don't need any set-theory and
logic".

Wittgenstein was more inclined to the so called "Intuitionismus" (e.g.
J. Brouwer), where he searched for a connection between math and common
sense.

I am sure the above does not really discuss whether Wittgenstein meant
do not concentrate on n,n+1,n+2. But for me Wittgenstein did mean with
his language introduction: meta-level explanation.

>   Wittgenstein and Godel never met.

I wrote an email to the official Austrian association for "Kurt Goedel"
in order to figure out whether Goedel met Wittgenstein or not.
Wittgenstein was in Vienna (and many other times) from 1924 to 1928 and
he even had contact with the Wiener Kreis (due to Schlick) but it
remains unclear for me whether he really met Goedel or not. Maybe an
official will answer my question.

S. Gonzi