Java to Python translation

Frithiof Andreas Jensen frithiof.jensen at removethis.ted.ericsson.dk
Thu Apr 4 07:45:16 EST 2002

"Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message
news:lzVq8.48605$pT1.1381394 at news1.tin.it...

> But I couldn't let this aspersion on f2c stand unchallenged...!-)

:-)

I use f2c a lot, although unconsciously: Every time a Fortran program -
usually som tricky numeric algorithm from Mathlib - is build on my Linux
box, f2c is silently invoked before gcc which performs the actual
compilation. One does not need to know really - so f2c does work well.

I just mentioned f2c as an illustration of what kind of code you will get -
it is fine for a procedural program but once you get different object &
class conventions (not to mention types) then things get really hairy.

When I worked at JET Joint Undertaking (UK) they converted millions of lines
of Fortran to C with surprisingly few problems - the code was *ugly* but it
allowed the migration from a dead harware platform from Norsk Data to SUN
Sparc.