ACCEPTED: PEP 285

Arthur Siegel ajs at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 7 05:08:28 EDT 2002

>I don't buy that stability is an absolute good; neither new >features;
overall I've been very happy with Guido's balancing >of these tradeoffs in
its effects on my own code.

Surprisingly perhaps, considering my rep here as an anti,
so have I.

And most changes -  some much, much more fundamental than
the div operator or bool changes - have passed into circulation
extremely quietly.

But there has been some really process problems and a sense
of being strong armed on those certain changes.

Guido asks "should the PEP be accepted"?

Many folks reacted that - no, it is unnecessary and
poorly timed and took the time to elaborate as intelligently
and thoroughly as they could the basis for that conclusion.

Only to find that the question Guido was *really* asking was
whether anyone saw a *killer* reason not to adopt.

Unnecessary and poorly timed may well be the right answer
but is not a  *killer* reason. You lose.

The fact as to who's football we happening to be playing
with now being a little shoved in our face.  Guido seemed
willing to accept the sense of the community, along as the
community told him what he wanted to hear. When
it didn't, he simply retroactively rephrased his question.

A reaction should be no surprise.

Words matter.

And straight is better than crooked.

Art