[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Apr 2 23:45:30 EST 2002

John Roth wrote:

> I absolutely agree. For me, the entire point is providing
> a **standard** way of expressing **in the code** the
> notion that a particular variable only takes two values:
> True and False. This is such a common case that it deserves
> to be promoted to be a part of the language.

Indeed, and it being standard is important.  I can certainly make my own
names for True and False (or true and false, or TRUE and FALSE) but they
may not be the same name -- or even have the same definitions! -- as
something other module writers have used.  When you have to interact
with a bunch of different Boolean types from a bunch of different
modules and authors, it sorts of defeats the self-documenting aspect.

/  \ Nationalism is an infantile sickness.
\__/ Albert Einstein
    Alcyone Systems' Daily Planet / http://www.alcyone.com/planet.html
 A new, virtual planet, every day.