Anyone need a program written?

Jeff Bienstadt jeffbi at jetsoft.com
Mon Apr 1 18:40:48 EST 2002

"Mindbomb" <Mindbomb at localhost.net> wrote in message
news:RHSZTyiDU6p8EwiF at nym.alias.net...
> In message <3ca4a322 at news.nwlink.com>, Jeff Bienstadt
> <jeffbi at jetsoft.com> writes
> >I've just recently started working on a newsreader in Python (it was the
> >underlying reason behind my earlier "IntSpan" posts).  It's not much
> >further along than the idea stage at this point, since I'm trying to
> >sandwich it in between several other projects, but I have a few lines of
> >experimental code that uses nntplib.
> >
> >I'm doing this primarily as a way to learn Python (why start small :->),
> >but also so that I can have a news reader that
> >   a) works
> >   b) runs on both my Linux and Windows boxen
> >   c) isn't Outlook Express
>
> If you carry on with this, I'd for one feel there is a gaping hole of
> newsreaders which actually make it east to post anonymously. If it could
> use anonymous re-mailers and interface with PGP/GPG it'd be even better!
>

> >If anybody is interested in joining me on this, or just interested in
> >hearing some of my thoughts on the subject, e-mail me --- I love
> >collaborative projects.
>
> I'd love to get involved in something like this, but I fear my Python
> skills would just show me up. I lurk in here, reading interesting
> threads and have dabbled a little with Python on my Linux box, but never
> actually sat down and played with the language enough to really teach
> myself.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing about your design & thoughts though - maybe
> this could be there very thing to hold my interest enough to get me to
> write some decent code, seeing as I have a vested interest!
>
> --
> Mindbomb

Regarding anonymous postings, I don't use that myself so I don't
grok the advantage other than spamming newsgroups.  Or is it a
mechanism for hiding from spam?  If it's useful, I'd be happy to
include it, but not if it's just a spam enabler.

As far as your Python knowledge goes, I wouldn't worry about it.
My Python experience is currently measured in weeks, although
I've been doing the coding thing (mostly C/C++) for more years
than I care to admit.  I'm finding it surprisingly easing to learn;
the hard part is giving up my hard-earned C++ habits :-)

My goals for this project (personally speaking) are, in this order:

   1) Learn Python
   2) build a newsreader that I'm happy with
   3) build a newsreader that others are happy with :-)

C'mon down!

---jkb