GNU GPL & Python stand-alone packages from py2exe

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Apr 19 14:21:40 EDT 2002

In article <j4hem7u2ol.fsf at informatik.hu-berlin.de>,
loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de says...
> Ulrich Goertz <u at g0ertz.de> writes:
> > 2) Would I have to put the source code of the Python interpreter
> > on the CD, too?
>
> Upon reading the GPL, that indeed appears to be the case:
[...]
> So the GPL applies to the work 'as a whole', and therefore, the same
> source distribution clause applies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... I don't think that the GPL
requires that the source be distributed on the same media, just
that it be "available".  In which case, simply having the
appropriate pointers to www.python.org and/or Sourceforge should
be sufficient.  But this *does* depend on the exact terms of the
GPL, which you should verify for yourself.

--

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer