Do you QA your Python? Was: 2.1 vs. 2.2

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.com
Sun Apr 14 02:26:16 EDT 2002

Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote:
> A crushing amount of debate over "stability" has gone by on Python-Dev
> the last week, and the one thing that strikes me over and over is that,
> with just a few minor exceptions, nobody volunteers to *do* anything
> except tell other people what to do.  What are you willing to do to
> make your desires a reality?  If it doesn't involve contributing work,
> time or money, you just want a free ride.  But nobody owes anyone a
> free ride, and open source can't change that fact of life either.

Not sure, but I think you are close to describing what has been called the
tragedy of the commons.

Back when I was paid to do Python work, I contributed all of US$50 (I
think; maybe it was $20) to the PSA (I think it was called) and tried to
get the company I was consulting for to kick in a couple thousand (or a
couple hundred at least). They never got around to that, alas.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what would be gained by contributions to a
strategy that I have specifically stated I don't agree with. Further, it is
unclear how I can "contribute" to the slower pacing of releases that I'd
like to see.

I've overstayed my welcome here, but before I go I'd like to thank you for
your efforts to advance Python and I wish you well in your endeavors.