yet another "Here's to 1.5.2" post

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Tue Apr 9 12:06:17 EDT 2002

Syver Enstad wrote in comp.lang.python:
> "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:
>
>> Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>> > " ".join(mylist) # is this perl or python?
>>
>> *why* string objects have join method has been explained
>> over and over and over again, and should also be obvious for
>> anyone with some knowledge how strings and sequences work
>> in Python.
>>
>> > whoever decided this is the new style should be shot, a lot
>
> Am I the only one in the entire world that thinks '\t'.join(mylist) is
> elegant and natural?

Of course not. It's only that there's an unusual amount of complaining
going on on c.l.p recently. Those who are happy with the development
of the language, just use the new features and don't complain
publicly. OTOH other users complain why 2.2 is so different from 1.5.2
instead of just sticking with 1.5.2 or even 1.5.2 features if they're
happy with it. I fail to see the logic of that, if there is any.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930