2.0*4 ==> Bus error on IRIX 6.5

Nhi Vanye offer at sgi.com
Wed Apr 17 10:31:01 EDT 2002

$ from stever at bic.mni.mcgill.ca -#195338 | sed "1,$s/^/> /"

>Hello,
>
>I just built python 2.1.3 on an IRIX 6.5 machine (Origin 200) using MIPSpro
>compilers (Version 7.30) and the test suite fails.
>
>It turns out that multiplying a float by an integer causes a
>bus error:
>
>  $ ./python
>  Python 2.1.3 (#2, Apr 17 2002, 09:37:30) [C] on irix646
>  Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>  >>> 2.0*4
>  Bus error (core dumped)
>

>[Oddly, it works if you multiply two floats or two integers]
>
>From the core dump, I see that the fault happens here:
>
>  #0  0x1004fd7c in float_mul () at floatobject.c:382
>  382             CONVERT_TO_DOUBLE(v, a);
>

>I looked on the python.org web pages, FAQs, etc and didn't
>find any similar problem reported.  I couldn't find the way to
>search the python bug tracker, so I had a quick look at the
>summary lines.  There was one about alignment that caught my eye
>(#472568) but the workaround suggested there does not ameliorate
>the situation.
>
>Help?

2.1.1 from May release of Irix Freeware seems to work okay

[ morgaine 6.5.16f-Apr01 ] python2
Python 2.1.1 (#1, Mar 25 2002, 11:44:01) [C] on irix6-n32
>>> 2.0*4
8.0

There are problems with the Feb release (some files were installed in
the wrong places---seems to only affect the development of extensions),
so that is also likely to be okay.

If you really need the May version right now, mail me and I'll see if
I can get a copy of the latest build to you...

richard.