how do I find a syntax error reported by Mac BuildApplet ?

Allen W. Ingling Allen.Ingling at nyu.edu
Tue Apr 2 16:50:06 EST 2002

How do I find a syntax error reported by the Mac Python BuildApplet
utility ?

I have the Python 2.2 distribution for Mac.  I am running it on  OS
9.2.1.  It includes the BuildApplet utility.   I have written a python
script  which executes in the Python interpreter without error.
However, when I try to build an applet using BuildApplet I received a
"syntax error" message and my script does not compile.  BuildApplet
does not report where in the script the error lies.   Is there any
fast way to automatically identify the line in my script which causes
applet builder to report a syntax error ?

I expect that there really is an error, and that its not reported in
the interpreter because it lies along a conditional branch chain which
is rarely executed.   Having to examine  the entire script myself to
find a syntax error which the compiler detects but does not report
feels incorrect.  What don't I know, or what am I doing wrong here ?

Best,

Allen