COM/CORBA/DCOP (was: Hello people. I have some questions)

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 4 05:15:38 EDT 2001

Paul Rubin <phr-n2001 at nightsong.com> writes:

> I remember there was also something called KOM, which was KDE's version
> of COM.  Is DCOP different from that?

I think KOM was never meant to operate across adress spaces (i.e. like
COM's in-process servers); DCOP, otoh, is "just" an RPC protocol, with
little if any notion of "objects" and "interfaces": DCOP just
transmits strings, basically, using an IDL compiler is merely for
convenience, but not strictly necessary.

> Is it feasible to put a CORBA wrapper around DCOP, to use KDE apps on
> a GNOME desktop?  What about the other way around?

It is possible, but I'm not sure why it would be desirable. You can
run KDE apps on a GNOME desktop, anyway - it is just X11, after all.
If you think that the KDE applications should make use of desktop
features, than a simple wrapping of DCOP won't help: you actually have
to translate operations between interfaces that are quite differently
structured.

Regards,
Martin