[Tutor] Why I'm learning Python (OT and long)

Scott Long smlong at ipns.com
Wed Sep 5 23:37:06 EDT 2001

Roman Suzi wrote:

> Docs which computer manufacturers sell are for monkeys probably. And this
> is IS a trend... And quality is the least concern to IT industry: audio-
> video matters. Who will buy less than 100Mb inkjet printer driver today?
>
> I do not stop to wonder how many people do not understand computers at
> all! They understand them as a sequence of external signals: video
> pictures, motions, sounds, wizards, etc.

It's the result of popularized computing. Although I never used CP/M, I
started out with a Commodore 64. Back then people bought computers because
they wanted to learn about them. The User Reference for my C64 had a
chapter on assembly language! Now, people buy computers to get things done
and don't care about what's really going on.

Consider three people: Joe Shmoe, an auto mechanic, and an automotive
engineer. While all three deal with cars, they are in separate universes
with respect to theoretical knowledge. Joe Shmoe can drive a car, but can
he fix a broken engine? The mechanic can fix the engine, but can he
*design* an engine?

I think we're starting to see people breaking down into groups like this in
the computer world as well. Casual users want to get things done. System
administrators enjoy using computers and make money maintaining them. And
programmers and computer scientists are creating the "magic" for everyone
else.

And of course, the docs are written for the biggest group of people,
namely, the group that doesn't care. It'll only get worse :)

Scott