unicode mystery

Alex Rice alex at integretechpub.com
Wed Sep 12 13:20:57 EDT 2001

I don't know where else to ask- this is only kinda about Python :-)

I have some unicode chars- python unicode objects- the source of these
chars is MSWord docs using the "Symbol" font. Mathematical operators,
Greek chars, and so forth. unicodedata.name() returns ValueError and the
unicode numbers don't seem to match the code charts.

For instance, the symbol font character Eta: according to the Unicode
charts,
Eta should be one of
1D776 MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF BOLD SMALL ETA
03B7 GREEK SMALL LETTER ETA

However, what I'm seeing coming out of Word and Python for a Greek 'Eta'
character in Symbol font is:

`char` => u'\uf068'
`type(char)` => <type 'unicode'>
`ord(char)`  => 61544

It looks like F0 is designated "private use" in unicode space. Does this
mean that either MSWord or python is doing something incorrect? What are
possible solutions to this?

TIA!

Alex Rice
alex at integretechpub.com