The $HOME of Windows.

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Fri Sep 21 07:17:08 EDT 2001

Hi,

Gillou <nospam at bigfoot.com> schrub:

> This is not pure Pyhtonic problem but...
> I'm looking for a place to store user settings in a portable Python
> app. For Unix users, I use ~/.myapp.defaults
> What's the equivalent for Windoze (I don't want to use the registry).
> Knowing that the path to this "My documents" folder depends on wether
> it's Win98, Win2000 (...) and on the locale.

As far as I know, the Multi User Wins (NT, 2000, XP) and - when using a
network profile from a Win PDC also 9X/ME - define an environment
variable HOME that points to the users home directory.

markus

--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty