Pythonwin and .NET

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Mon Sep 10 20:34:31 EDT 2001

> >It's very different with Jython (I haven't used it "in anger" yet,
> >but dabbled, yes) -- I have not found *anything* yet that I can't do
> >in Jython, i.e. anything _at all_ that would require me to switch to
> >Java coding for some part
> <snip>
>
> I agree with Alex.  As I've posted here before, we have
> written hundreds of
> thousands of lines of deployed/production Jython code.  We
> have converted
> *a few* tiny display renderers (Swing-based) to Java to
> increase scrolling
> performance.  But isolated, performance areas aside we have
> not found *any*
> (zero) Java functionality that is not fully (and easily)
> accessible from
> Jython. (But being so much more of a pleasure to code in
> Jython, of course.
> Throwing in an unsolicited plug: we especially love all the
> *dynamic* stuff
> that Python brings to Java via Jython. :-)

I have to disagree here a very little bit.

I've come across some poorly-written code which does identity comparisons
with instances of java.lang.Class. Of course, if you try to do
java.lang.Object.__class__ or java.lang.Object().getClass() jou get a Jython
jclass instance, which will not compare equal.

The solution of course is to not rely on this behaviour, or to make it a
totally internal thing.

Tim Delaney