Off-topic: hiding your email address - don't bother...

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Sun Sep 30 18:21:40 EDT 2001

Hi,

Tim Peters <tim.one at home.com> schrub:

> Guido did post that, and the reason is obvious if you're Guido <wink>.
>  I don't have to channel him here, cuz the same goes for me, although
> I've
> rarely bothered to say so:  If you reply to a lot of tech posts, often
> you just want to give someone a one-liner nudge in the right
> direction, sometimes you want to share a gripe in private, and so on
> -- replies that may have value to the original poster but aren't of
> general interest.

Yes, exactly.

My thinking is: "If you don't want a reply, you don't get one".

And making it difficult to reply is a sure sign you don't want a reply.

Also, most e-mail address collecting robots can automatically delete
nospam etc. In case of doubt, they include both (or more) variations.
(I sometimes even got spam addressed at Message-IDs - thanks to the
mail catch-all on my domain).

Two friends of mine just got their individual spam filtering method:

The first one uses a mail address that contains nospam in two places:
user.nospam at nospam.domain.tld. However, all four combinations (deleting
none, either or both nospam) go to valid mail addresses, and are
processed by the same MDA. All mails are delayed some time, and if a
mail arrives at more than one address, it sorted into a special folder
he sorts manually every week or so.

The second, Nico, has an email catch-all on his subdomain, and his MTA
and NNTP-Proxy generate a new, unique address for each outgoing message.
Now, whenever an incoming mail arrives for more than 2 addresses, he
deletes the first two deliveries, and the current and any further
delivery attempt gets caught in a "teergrube". He had this in a test
phase where he didn't delete his mails for 2 months, and he didn't
catch any non-spam, and only two spams did pass.

However, both setups need some sophisticated mail setup, and not
everyone does have access to such one.

markus

--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty