multi-dispatch (was Re: large class hierarchies in python)

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Sep 17 11:24:21 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message news:<9nnndo02o24 at enews1.newsguy.com>...
    ...[about Dylan, mostly snipped]...
> Haskell or Erlang.  Gwydyon Dylan should be
> OK for Macs, Unix/Linux/BSD, or Cygwin, while
> funpro makes a subset of their commercial
> offering (the complete language, just not the
> rich extra libraries for COM access &c &c)
> available for free under Windows.  Who knows,

Just an update: on comp.os.linux.announce, I saw
a recent announcement by funpro that an alpha of
their version of Dylan (pretty rich-looking too)
is also available for Linux (they're working with
the Gwydyon people to cooperate on some of the
issues, they also say).  I still prefer Python,
BUT I also still think Dylan is well worth looking
into -- one day we might borrow more of their good
stuff (as, in 2.2, we are doing for MRO -- I still
don't know whether Guido reinvented it or inspired
himself directly from the Dylan idea).

Alex