New Installation

Joal Heagney s713221 at student.gu.edu.au
Mon Sep 17 01:44:21 EDT 2001

Joal Heagney wrote:

> Ben Ocean wrote:
> >
> > Hi;
> > For some reason I can't build the latest stable python on my RH62 server
> > with the rpm (if complains of dependencies, but they're installed). So, I
> > resorted to the tar file and did tar, ./configure, make, make install.
> > Everything appeared to go perfectly until I typed python into the command
> > line. Up popped 1.5.2 What did I do wrong?
> > BenO
>
> The other illustrious members of this group have explained where you can
> find python. As Roman has stated, python tar builds into /usr/local
> rather than /usr by default. Follow Roman's advice about --prefix=/usr,
> but when you get to the step where it says to:
>
> make install
> make altinstall instead.
>
> Then follow Ignacio's advice about using python2.1 instead of python.
>
> The bit I want to add is about why you're having trouble with
> dependencies. Yes you've got the dependencies installed, but you may not
> have the right (read up-to-date enough) versions! Additionally, there
> will be some packages that depend rather heavily on a particular version
> of python - you'll have the most trouble with them. Examples are
> extensions to python such as rpm-python, tkinter, pygtk etc.
> It is possible to sort this out, but it's less hassle to use an
> altinstall that leaves your system python unharmed.

Also, the person who built the src.rpm may have been doing it on a more
up to date machine. The nomenclature of libraries and packages have been
known to change in inconvenient ways. E.g. slang is now referred to as
libslang1 on my LM8.1 machine. If you're really eager you can:

rpm -i your src.rpm
cd /usr/src/RPM/SPECS
emacs the python spec file.
--