"shell-commands" and python!

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Sep 21 19:36:00 EDT 2001

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ignacio at openservices.net> wrote:

[Greg Weeks gives some cases where he considers ksh more convenient than
 Python]
>> That is a good deal
>> clunkier (and less efficient) than is available using Ksh.

> Would you like some cheese with that whine?

> If you feel that ksh is the correct tool for the job, then by all means feel
> free to use ksh. If you would rather use Python for it, then use Python and
> stop complaining.

I don't think he was complaining at such. He was stating that he thought
Python could be less clunky and hoped someone would come up with ideas
on how, so they could discuss a possible improvement of the language.

That does not mean necessarily it is possible to solve the perceived
shortcomings; the proposed solutions may not be desirable for other reasons
(obscuring matters, for instance). Python in this respect is more careful
to preserve internal coherence than Perl.

But it does the language and the community no harm to discuss these issues.
Who knows, we may learn something. It is one way to improve your programming
language, too.

Regards,

Martijn