COM/CORBA/DCOP (was: Hello people. I have some questions)

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Mon Sep 3 18:11:08 EDT 2001

Hi,

Paul Rubin <phr-n2001 at nightsong.com> schrub:

> As I remember, there are two ways to use COM in-process.  One is to
> use the regular dispatch method which does a dictionary lookup.  The
> other way is to use a static index to get to the method.  The second
> way requires knowing the index, but the method invocation should end
> up the same as a C++ method invocation, i.e. just a function call
> through a dispatch vector.  I don't see how interacting with a CORBA
> ORB can be nearly that fast.  However, the dispatch method might end
> up being pretty slow.

In Corba, you communicate through stub objects. So the stub object
could simply make a direct jump to the original method when the object
is local.

The overhead then is in creating the stub, but calling is pretty slim.

markus
--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty