Problem with threading on Solaris

Lionel Ulmer bbrox at bbrox.org
Fri Sep 7 11:08:46 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I have some problem with multi-threading in Python on the Solaris platform.
My sample program (available on request :-) ) shows that when I create two
concurrent threads, the second one ONLY starts when the first one finished
(except if I add some things like a sleep or a select to do explicit task
switching).

To test, I rebuilt Python forcing the use of Solaris Thread instead of POSIX
Threads.... And this version of Python works as expected (ie 'concurrent'
running of both threads).

So I wonder if :
 = it's a bug in Solaris' pthread library
 = it's Python that is not using PThread properly on the Solaris platform

Anyone on different version of Solaris could try if they also have the
problem ? If yes, I would suggest using by default Solaris threads on
Solaris rather than the common PThread code.

                    Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/