Is Python fit for multi-tiEred apps?

Ian Parker parker at gol.com
Thu Sep 27 18:13:40 EDT 2001

In article <SMJs7.16641$7k.448461 at atlpnn01.usenetserver.com>, Steve
Holden <sholden at holdenweb.com> writes

>The advantage of these architectures is that you can centralise or
>distribute the business rules as you see fit, but that you don't have to do
>what traditional C/S applications did, which was to include business rule
>handling on the desktop. This became a maintenance nightmare for large
>organizations with hundreds or thousands of desktops: when the business
>rules changed, new client software had to be rolled out to all the desktops.
>
>regards
> Steve
>--
>http://www.holdenweb.com/

A maintenance nightmare indeed.  Almost makes you wish for the return of
the mainframe doesn't it.

One of our trading systems is comprised of 50 servers (plus the user's
workstations).  It's arguably 4-tier:  desktop, application servers,
data distribution servers and exchange line handlers.  Hard to manage,
hard to debug, and with all those pesky network delays to slow things
down.

--
Ian Parker